The ideal candidate for Sunny Meadows:
- Is a trustworthy, hardworking individual.
- Is self-motivated to move quickly and complete the task at hand efficiently.
- Is committed to doing good work with a good attitude.
- Is able to work all day on their feet lifting heavy things whether it’s raining, sweltering or beautiful out.
- Is able to work fast and efficiently both at time sensitive tasks like harvest and mind-numbing jobs like hand weeding.
- Works well with others in a responsible manner without letting socializing get in the way of efficient work.
- Has a strong interest in local, sustainable flowers.
- Is positive and inquisitive.
- Is energetic, hard-working and highly motivated.
- Has a desire and patience for community, as you will be working with the same folks throughout the season in a cooperative environment.
- Takes precautions to avoid accidents, keeping safety in mind, especially around heavy equipment and vehicles.
- Is willing to be in the public eye, positively representing our business.
Must be able to lift, bend, and work outside in the elements. You will need rain gear, a sun hat, and proper work attire. You will get dirty and sweaty, but it is rewarding work, spreading the joy of nature one bouquet at a time!
For those employees interested in a learning position, most of what we do on the farm is learning by doing. We will cover such topics as: efficiencies on a farm; seeding and transplanting; compost making, soil health and fertility; cover cropping; irrigation; trellising and pruning; weed, pest and disease prevention and management; succession planting; managing and improving high tunnels; crop post-harvest care; marketing and delivering; selling at farmers' markets; general farm maintenance; and design work if the position includes that. We have a short morning meeting to discuss the workload and schedule, and will also use that time for educational purposes to explain why we are doing things the ways we are. We focus on efficiency and we enjoy teaching as we work so you understand what we’re doing, but we don’t let it slow us down.
Unpaid field trips may be offered as workload allows.
There is an extensive farming library where the staff can help facilitate independent study.
*** Farm duties will be determined by employees’ desire of learning. Once you have learned a skill, you will need to be able to do it efficiently unsupervised. Our goal is for each worker to receive 1-2 areas of responsibility, in which we hope they become proficient. ***
Search #teamsmff on Instagram for more photos of us hard at work.
All of our positions for the 2017 season have been filled. Thank you for your interest and check back next year!